Pax Christi, the Peace of Christ, strives to create a world that reflects this peace by witnessing to the call of Christian nonviolence. Although the majority of members are Roman Catholic, Pax Christi is open to all people who want to work for peace in the spirit of the nonviolent Jesus.
Pax Christi Memphis meets the second Tuesday of
every month at the Quaker Meetinghouse located at 3387 Walnut Grove, Memphis, TN 38111. Additional parking is available on Prescott, or in the Kroger Parking lot across the street.
For more information, or if you need a ride to our meeting, call Janice Vanderhaar at 362-9364, or Terry Hash 849-0983
Building peace, economic & interracial justice through a spirituality of nonviolence
Pax Christi Memphis
News and Notes
Number 3, 2015
After a summary of recent activities of Pax Christi Memphis was shared from the group, the assembled community discussed briefly the mission statement of Pax Christi USA.
A portion our meeting was given to reflection on 1 Corinthians 12:4-11, 27, 28 in view of further sharing latter to bring out the gifts we see in our Pax Christi community.
Some thoughts that were shared after silent reflection included the following:
- in our group there are unique gifts to be appreciated and activated for the common good by the Spirit of Christ;
- we are called to love as Christ loves;
- we learn of God’s love in the Gospel message;
- everyone has something to contribute to our mission;
- openness to the Spirit leads to discovery of the richness of our giftedness;
- each one can ask, “What is my purpose in life?”
- our gifts can be extended outward like waves in a body of water.
The group came to a consensus that we would contribute from our treasury $150.00 to support the Gandhi-King Conference this year. A check for that amount has been delivered to the MidSouth Peace and Justice Center.
In our discernment process we might take inspiration from Pope Francis and perceive a context for our mission in the Christian community.
The Holy Spirit also enriches the entire evangelizing Church with different charisms. These gifts are meant to renew and build up the Church. They are not an inheritance, safely secured and entrusted to a small group for safekeeping; rather they are gifts of the Spirit integrated into the body of the Church, drawn to the centre which is Christ and then channelled into an evangelizing impulse. A sure sign of the authenticity of a charism is its ecclesial character, its ability to be integrated harmoniously into the life of God’s holy and faithful people for the good of all. Something truly new brought about by the Spirit need not overshadow other gifts and spiritualities in making itself felt. To the extent that a charism is better directed to the heart of the Gospel, its exercise will be more ecclesial. It is in communion, even when this proves painful, that a charism is seen to be authentic and mysteriously fruitful. On the basis of her response to this challenge, the Church can be a model of peace in our world.
Dear PCUSA Local Leader,
I begin by thanking your for your commitment to your local Pax Christi USA local group. Your local peace with justice activities continues to enable us to be the national Catholic peace with justice movement.
In reviewing the current structure of PCUSA, I clearly understand that not all local groups form part of a region. This e-mail is an attempt to help us align our local groups (such as yours) with the national office. It is critical that every member of your local group be a dues paying member of Pax Christi USA.
With this in mind, I am asking you for two (2) things:
1. Please be sure to encourage your local PCUSA members to pay their annual dues to the national office. This can be done in two ways:
- Becoming a member of the Sustainers' Circle by a minimum monthly donation of ten dollars ($10.00) through your credit card. Simply go on line at www.paxchristiusa and follow the directions.
- Paying the Regular Membership fee of forty dollars ($40.00) per year by submitting a check to the national office.
In closing, thank you for your ongoing financial support to Pax Christi USA and if have have questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
Peace and continued Blessings
Executive Director Pax Christi USA